We’ve improved upon the quintessential American sandwich. Season a whole bologna chub using Dickey’s Chili Pork Butt Seasoning, then smoke using Dickey’s Oak or Hickory Pellets. Put a half-inch slice on Texas Toast, add your accoutrements of choice and chow down!
Prep Time3 hours
Cook Time5 hours
- 4-5 lb piece
- Bologna, Whole Stick
- 1/4 cup
- Yellow Mustard
- 1 loaf
- White Bread, Texas Toast or Thick Cut
- As needed
- Yellow Mustard or Bourbon Mustard
- As needed
- 1 head
- Iceberg Lettuce
- 3 Each
- Ripe Beef Steak Tomatoes
- Preheat smoker with Oak Pellets or Hickory Pellets to 250°F.
- Using a filet knife score the entire bologna a 1/4″ – 1/2″ deep in a crisscross pattern spaced 1″ apart over the entire surface.
- Rub the bologna with yellow mustard and then evenly season with Dickey’s Chili Pork Butt Seasoning.
- Place the bologna on a rack in the smoker and smoke for 3-4 hours or until the spice rub darkens the exterior of the bologna. Remove from the smoker and let stand at room temperature to allow the exterior to cool and dry slightly.
- To make sandwiches, slice tomatoes and yellow onions into 1/4″ slices. Break onion rings apart. Remove the core from Iceberg lettuce and cut into quarters.
- Toast the bread slices, spread 1 heaping tablespoon mayonnaise to one slice of bread and 1 heaping Tablespoon mustard to a second slice.
- The slice with the mustard is your bottom slice, place a half-inch thick crosscut slice of bologna over the mustard.
- Top bologna with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions. Top sandwich with a slice of toast with mayonnaise.