- The night before, heat butter to melt and combine with 3/4 Cup brown sugar (reserve remaining 1/4 cup for egg mixture).
- Coat the entire bottom and sides of a 12 inch round cast iron pan or 12-13 inch casserole pan with the melted brown sugar and butter combination, spread out evenly. Sprinkle half of the pecans over the sugar.
- Layer the bread slices over the sugar and pecan coating in the pan. Arrange to pack the slices tightly together leaving no gap.
- Combine the eggs with brown sugar and whisk in a mixing bowl. Add milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla-whisk well until smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread and top with remaining chopped pecans. Cover with foil and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The following morning, heat smoker/grill to 300°F. Once heated, place the pan or casserole dish into the smoker and cook for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove the foil and allow to cook for another 15 minutes to lightly brown.
- Serve with syrup for breakfast or whipped cream and caramel sauce for a dessert.
Recipe Categories: Breakfast, Cooking Method, Desserts, Meal Type, Smoke