Starting with olive oil and our incredible Beef Brisket Rub, this prime rib will do double duty in the smoker: the first time to smoke the meat, the second time to sear the exterior, caramelizing the surface and sealing in all the flavor. Sprinkle with a little more Rub just prior to serving to your awestruck guests.
Prep Time10 Minutes
Cook Time8 hours
- 1 ea
- 10-12 lb Prime rib
- 2 oz
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tbsp
- Dickey's Beef Brisket Rub
- Preheat smoker to 250°.
- Using your hands coat rib roast with olive oil ensuring even coverage.
- Using a shaker coat rib roast with the brisket rub. Use your hands to “pat” the seasoning into the meat. Do not rub as this will rub off the black pepper.
- Insert a meat probe and place in smoker. The roast should take approx. 20-30 minutes per pound.
- Remove from smoker and allow the roast to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes. During that time heat the smoker to 500°F.
- Place the prime rib back into the smoker at 500° and sear the exterior of the rib for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove and let rest at room temperature for 45 minutes, capture any drippings from the prime rib. Slice right before serving.
- Using a brush, brush slices with pan dripping and season with a little more brisket spice as needed. This is a step to really give each slice a blast of flavor.