- Thaw turkey fully if using a frozen turkey. Remove turkey from packaging and remove giblets bag and neck from inside the bird.
- Place the 10 cups of water into a stock pot and heat to 180-200°F. Combine all the remaining ingredients except ice and mix with a whisk.
- Once all salt is dissolves, add ice to cool liquid. Pour into a large clean pot or bucket. Add turkey and place 2-3 plates over the top to keep the turkey submerged. Brine for 36 hours prior to smoking.
- Remove the turkey from the brine and discard brine.
- Heat smoker to 250°F and place turkey breast side up in the smoker. Spritz turkey every 30 minutes.
- Smoke turkey until the breast temps to 165°F and the thigh reaches 175°F.
- Remove from the smoker and transfer to a serving tray to slice.
- Due to the sugar and salt, the thigh meat will have a slight pink color due to the turkey being cured. If the thigh reaches 175°F it is fully cooked.
Recipe Categories: Chicken, Dinner, Smoke