For use in dips, sides, garnish, or on their own, these flavor-packed onions take only 24 hours to marinate in chili garlic and keep for nearly two weeks. Have a picnic or party planned this weekend? Enhance almost any dish with these delicious onions. They’re well worth the 10 minutes they take to prepare.
Prep Time10 Minutes
Marinate Time24 Hours
Cook Time2 Minutes
ServesMakes 1 pint
- 2 each
- Red onion, peeled and julienne 1/4"
- 1 cup
- Sherry vinegar
- 5 tbsp
- 1 tsp
- 1 tbsp
- Chili garlic paste, hour fung
- 8-10 ea
- Allspice berries
- Combine all ingredients except onions into a saucepot. Quickly bring the liquid to a simmer and ensure salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Once the liquid is simmering, add julienned onions and stir for 1 minute. Turn heat off and cover with a lid.
- After 10 minutes, stir onions again and allow to sit covered for 10 more minutes.
- Transfer onions and liquid to a large jar hot and cover with a lid. Place into the refrigerator and let marinate for 24 hours prior to use. Onions will hold for 10-12 days.