A tender pork shoulder, seasoned with garlic and Dickeyâ€™s JalapeÃ±o Rosemary Steak Seasoning, is smoked, sliced, and stacked on ciabatta bread with tomato, mayo, provolone, arugula, and Dickeyâ€™s recipe for Smoked Onion Chutney. Itâ€™s not the whole hog; just the best part!
Prep Time20 Minutes
Cook Time5 Hours
- 1 Each
- Pork Shoulder, boneless 5-6 lbs.
- May come from the butcher in string netting, leave it on
- 2 Tablespoons
- Garlic, fresh chopped in oil
- 6 Tablespoons
- Dickey's Jalapeno Rosemary Steak Seasoning
- 12 Each
- Ciabotta bread, square
- 1 Tablespoon each
- 3 Each
- Tomatoes, vine ripe
- 12 Slices
- Provolone cheese
- 1 Pack
- 12 FL oz.
- Smoked Onion Chutney or Balsamic Vinaigrette
- As needed
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat smoker or oven to 275Â°F.
- Rub the entire pork shoulder with chopped garlic, measure Dickey’s JalapeÃ±o Rosemary Steak Seasoning and cover the entire pork shoulder evenly.
- Place pork shoulder on the rack fat side up. If using an oven place on a rack over a sheet tray to catch fat and juices.
- Smoke/roast the shoulder for 5 hours. The internal temperature should be 180Â°-185Â°F to ensure the meat is tender but can still be sliced. Allow the pork shoulder to sit at room temperature to rest for 20 minutes prior to carving.
- To make the sandwich, cut ciabatta into a top and bottom half. Place the top and bottom pieces of bread on a sheet tray, cut side up.
- Wash, core and slice tomatoes for the sandwich.
- Place 2-3 slices of tomatoes on the bottom bun and season with salt and black pepper.
- Cut and remove the string netting from the pork shoulder. Cross cut the pork into 1/4″ slices and place slices on the bottom ciabatta bun over the sliced tomatoes. Place slice of provolone cheese over pork.
- Place the sheet tray with the top and bottom buns in a preheated 400Â° F oven for 6 minutes to melt the cheese and toast the top bun.
- Toss arugula with smoked onion chutney (warm in the microwave prior to toasting for 1 minute) if you do not have the chutney available fig chutney or balsamic vinegar works well.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise on the top bun, stack arugula over the melted cheese and place top bun over arugula and lightly press down to set.